Every minute you’re on your bike is a minute you aren’t driving a car or playing
video games. And those minutes add up. Consider these points.
- For well over a hundred years, riding has been a popular way to stay fit. And for
good reason. It’s good fun. And it’s good exercise.
- Just 3 hours of bicycling per week can reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke
by 50%. *
- A 140-pound cyclist burns 508 calories while pedaling 14 miles in an hour. *
- The average person loses 13 lbs. their first year of commuting by bike. *
- In 1964 50% of kids rode to school and the obesity rate was 12%…in 2004, 3% rode
to school and the obesity rate was 45%. *
* source: 1World2Wheels.org
Plus, for kids, riding for fitness teaches a very important lesson: getting outside
and exercising is an important part of their daily routine. And that will help set
them up for a healthier and happier future.